About the Collections
The Cofrin Library was established as a selective federal depository library for Wisconsin's 8th Congressional District in 1967. As a selective depository, we receive approximately 50% of the materials available through the federal depository program. The collection does contain some historical materials reaching back in the 1800's, primarily in the areas of census, legislative, and judicial topics.
We receive government information in a variety of formats, including paper, microfiche, microfilm, CD-ROM, and electronically via the Internet.
- The collection is housed on the 5th floor of the library and is arranged on the shelf by issuing agency rather than subject, using the SuDocs (Superintentendent of Documents) system.
- Publications received in paper or elecronically since 1995 are listed in the library's catalog.
- Older materials and microformat publications are not listed in the catalog. Please ask for assistance at the 3rd floor Reasearch Assistance Desk in using our extensive collection of print indexes to identify and locate publications not in the catalog.
- Our federal documents collection is freely available for public use in-house.
We are also a full Wisconsin Depository Library since 1974.
Local documents: We collect some county and municipal publications. selectively; these are housed in the Wisconsin documents collection.
The Wisconsin documents collection is housed on the 5th floor of the library and the entire collection is listed in our book catalog. Items are arranged on the shelve by the issuing agency using the Wisconsin Documents call number systerm rather than by subject, just like the federal documents collection.
Even if we don't have a particular government publication, it is easy for us to borrow it for you from one of the full depositiory libraries in Wisconsin, which are the Milwaukee Public Library or UW Madison and the Wisconsin State Historical Society.
Government RSS Feeds & Blogs
- U.S. Government RSS Directory
- Blogs from the U.S. Government
- U.S. Government Podcast Directory
- Registry of U.S. Government Publication Digitization Projects Includes both digitization projects being done by government agencies as well as those conducted by private sector groups.
- State of Wisconsin RSS feeds
- World Bank RSS feeds
- UN RSS feeds
Government Book Talk
Learn more About Government Information
Click on the book title to go to the electronic version (when available).