University of Wisconsin-Manitowoc
Student Assistant (Library)
The Student Assistant works at the Library Circulation/Reserve Desk and performs additional related tasks as assigned. Hours may include some nights.
- Greet library customers and present a welcoming atmosphere.
- Charge and discharge materials.
- Shelve books, DVDs, CDs, newspapers, and periodicals.
- Assist patrons in finding resources and use of library technology such as: using the photocopier, printer, audio-visual equipment, and computers.
- Take photos and print student IDs in absence of CASE associate.
- Answer questions about library resources, policies, and procedures referring complex questions to the Librarian and Library Services Assistant (LSA).
- Assist with library book sales. This may include: help setting up and taking down, collecting money and providing receipts.
- Maintain accurate public services statistics.
- Responsible for library operations in absence of Librarian and LSA.
- Follow proper procedures for opening and closing the Library.
- Light routine cleaning and regularly assigned projects given by the Librarian or LSA.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current student at UW-Manitowoc; (*work-study award preferred).
- Ability to provide excellent customer service; treat patrons with a friendly attitude, approach problems or questions with confidence.
- Ability to do some light lifting.
- Basic keyboarding and computer skills.
- Available for a minimum of 4 hours per week.
(*Previous library experience desirable, but not required).
To apply for a student assistant position in the library:
- Turn in these items to the library’s student supervisor:
- A weekly schedule of classes, printed out from PRISM.
- A resume of work, education, and/or volunteer experience.
- When there are positions available, all applicants whose schedules match library needs will be asked to come in for a face to face interview. Watch your university email account for more information.